Setting input and output ports to None in Sonar

Started by norfolkmastering, July 16, 2024, 01:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norfolkmastering

Hi Alexey

I've been Beta testing the new Sonar release with a focus on the API and AZ Controller.  So far no problems but one small change which is not easy to explain, but I will try!

Setting a track source to the GUI displayed source of '-None-' using
Cakewalk would report via the API as the label '-None -' but if you
wanted to set the source to '-None-' remotely then you had to instruct
to set to '--- None ---' via the Software State entry.

In Cakewalk, the GUI displayed track output of  '--- None ---' was reported
via the API as '--- None ---' and could be remotely set using the label
'--- None ---'.

In Sonar the GUI displayed labels for track source and outputs have both
been changed to 'None'.

Setting a track source to 'None' via the Sonar GUI still reports via the
API as label '-None-' but to set the track source remotely to 'None' now
requires the label 'None' in the Software State entry.

Setting a track output to 'None' still reports via the API as label '---
None ---' but to set the track output remotely to 'None' now requires
the label 'None' in the Software State entry.

So, in summary, for track source or track outputs 'None':

- GUI names have been changed in Sonar

- How they are reported via the API is unchanged

- How they are controlled remotely has changed

I have reported the change to Mark McLeod who says there has been no intended changes to the API but the Sonar GUI labels have certainly changed.

So the change I had to make in AZ was to change the label in my Software State list from '—- None —-' to 'None'. That change allowed both the track source and track destination to be controlled from my external controller.

Can I ask:

Which Cakewalk label does AZ read when it attempts to match to a Software State label?  Is it the displayed GUI label?

Regards
Robert

azslow3

Hi Robert,

AZ Controller "produce" the following "Nones" on its own:

• None as Output "--- None ---"
  • None as Send output "--- None ---"
  • None as Input "-None-"

From what I remember, that was "mimicking" some version of Sonar.

Cheers,
Alexey.

PS. I don't have and I don't have plans to have "new" Sonar/Next. I guess my tools will slowly become incompatible with new versions of Bandlab software.
I was thinking about getting Sonar just to have it installed, but for me the price policy is ridiculous - one year of Sonar subscription cost like 10 years of
REAPER perpetual. Old Platinum at least had extra content and was perpetual for the money. The engine is the same, close to 30 years old, and there is no
indication that is going to be changed withing the next 30 years. Just yet another GUI change (previous was X1).

I see how REAPER is moving on. Bapu has convinced me to check Presonus S1, and even so I don't like it after REAPER, I see it is also moving. Cakewalk
is stuck in the past, but the owner want monetize it. Sorry, without me.

norfolkmastering

Hi Alexey
Thanks for the information which is useful.

I will buy Sonar because they have implemented a major improvement to the external inserts code which has a huge benefit to my setup.  I will make sure to be able to revert to previous versions of Sonar if AZ Controller compatibility becomes an issue.

Windows 11 is also a potential issue I need to explore soon.

One more question please.
In AZ Control, when I have an entry named 'None' in a Software State, does the label have any meaning? Or is it just the position of 'None' within the Software State list which determines the Track Input which is selected?

I am trying to understand why I had to change the None label from '—- None —-' to 'None' when I changed from Cakewalk by Bandlab to the new Sonar.

Regards
Robert

azslow3

Hi Robert,

Please try Test version (b424). It should use the same names for getting and setting "Nones", in any Sonar/CbB/Sonar versions.
I could change it to "None" (removing dashes), but that will break existing presets which use the feature. So lets keep it "-None-" (input) and "--- None ---" (send and output).

Alexey.

norfolkmastering

Hi Alexey
Thanks for the new test version.
I'm now travelling for a couple of weeks so I will test it as soon as I get back home.
Regards
Robert

norfolkmastering

Hi Alexey
I have tested AZ b424 with the latest versions of Sonar and CbB.  It works fine with both for setting "Nones" using:
"-None-" (input) and "--- None ---" (send and output).
Thanks for taking care of this.
Regards
Robert