My  DAW is Reaper
YouTube channel

Main Menu

Export and Import Text Files

Started by Bassman, August 06, 2024, 08:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassman

HI:)

When I Export a Text File from the preset, how can I import it back?

On Import it says that the file is corrupt....

Not possible?

Perhaps I can change Values in the Binary File? Have to change hundreds of SysX commands in my big Preset, wanted to move everything into 1 Controller Preset instead of 4, don't know why I ever used 4 Presets of the Launch control....?

Doesn't matter, is there any possibility to change them with "Search and Replace" in 1 Go?

Thanks;)
Heinz.

azslow3

Hi,

Sorry, there is no text format import.

In the binary file you can't change the size of SysEx, but you can try to replace particular bytes in HEX editor which supports search and replace.
If that is in complete SysEx (Send option), it will be complete SysEx F0...F7, but for partial SysEx (other options) there is no F0/F7, so check
you are not modifying something else when replacing.

Alexey.

Bassman

That made my day, I used HxD and changed about 350 SysX Commands  ;D

Haleluja! Thank you;)

But just the wish stays alive: To be able to change a Textfile of the preset and reimport it ;)

I think if you haven't implemented it yet it is too much work for this, so working with a binary file is OK for changing such things.
Would surely be nice to can copy some elements easily in a Text Editor with 2 windows, in the AZ Controller window it's a pain!

Nevertheless thanks and some more problem:

Cause I deleted some Logical Controls like that:

1. Delete all Actions
2.Hardware: Forget Midi - Detach - Delete Context - Delete
3. Options: Delete Control

The most Controls are gone, but some stay as : Detached 201 for example.

I can't for the hell find any dependencys in other controls or in an exported textfile there's no "Detached" to find.

How can I delete them? What have I to search for?

Thank you again;)
Heinz.

azslow3

Hi,

Making exported text format importable will make it less readable (the only purpose of it at the moment...), and importing it is not easy.
The preset is a "byte code" program, in a binary form it is just a dump (with pointers replaced by indexes). Importing text version
effectively means I need to write user friendly compiler for the "language" I use for presets (think of a small typo in the text somewhere...).

If detached control can't be removed when it has no actions, there are just 2 possibilities: it is called from some other control or
there is a bug in AZ Controller :) if you attach the preset, I will be able to tell more.

Alexey.

Bassman

Hi:)

2 Files, just remove the txt extension, 1 Binär 1 Text!

Thanks;)
Heinz.

azslow3

Hi,

My guess was right, _fBk is calling Detached 180 and Detached 202. Other I was able to delete directly.

BTW I have found that by checking Logical Controls. In the text version these are "CALL ''" and "CALL ';4'"
Well, may be I should try to write "Detached" there as well. But from what I remember "Detached <num>" was introduce for debugging the engine, they effectively have empty names ;)

Cheers,
Alexey.

Bassman

I_ve looked 3 times into all Controls, now that you wrote I found them in _fBk and changed to the correct Resets.

But now there are still 7 Detached ones:

202 still there
180 still there

OK: Again 2 times looked into all Logic Controls.

Searched in the Text File for all "Calls" and looked carefully to have the right ones.
Searched for "" or '', no ones there in the file.
Searched for all "Rst"

And still can't find any "Detached" or '' or "" , what's the problem or is it any problem?
Perhaps they are all gone when I have finished porting all to Launch Control Preset 1 and deleted all
Controls not needed anymore?

I'm still working on, tomorrow it should be finished, just 48 Rotors and 16 Sliders and the corresponding Feedbacks to copy over.

Attached the newest Textfile, would be interesting why I can't find theses Detached ones....

Thanks;)
Heinz.

azslow3

Yes, there are detached controls in the preset.
But I can remove them all (in GUI) and that is persistent (saved/loaded preset).
So sorry, what is the problem?

Just to avoid misunderstanding: Logical Controls are normally bound throw Hardware Context to Hardware Control. Logical Controls don't have names on there own, the name is always '' (Empty). Hardware Controls are named directly. Hardware Contexts by default have name '' (empty), since most of the time there is just one. Even with one it is possible to define Hardware State Set and so name the Context, when using more then one that is i kind of "must" since with empty Context name Logical Controls will have the same name for all contexts, that will be really confusing.

When Logical Control is Attached, it gets the name of Hardware Control + Hardware Context to which it is attached. Once Detached, it again has no name. In the GUI, detached Logical Controls are labeled as "Detached <number>".

Calls and Actions are bound to the Logical Control directly. When referenced, Logical Control can't be deleted. But it can be Detached at any time.

PS. I don't know if someone except me (and only for my MPK Mini) have ever used multiple Hardware Contexts. At the end that complicated schema just provides a tiny improvement in behavior of  some Value Action modes, which use "previous" known physical control position. And only in the case the control can send different MIDI messages (and so used in different Logical Controls).

The implementation is so complicated (with "Contexts" and "States") since in general controllers don't inform the DAW that hardware layout is changed on the device. So AZC has to guess, using all hints possible. Hardware layout is normally change many controls, so once we "detect" one of them is in different layout, that is a hint other have changed the layout as well. So, there must be some "common" (for the group) way to save the layout, that is "Hardware State Set". There can be different independently switchable groups of controls, and they can overlap (f.e. the layout of knobs is switched or the layout of knobs and buttons is switched), so more then one Hardware Set may be required to mirror complete layout of the device and move then one State (from different Sets) can be associated with one Logical Control.

Theoretically I could add Hardware Context functionality into Logical Control (since that association is one to one), but I am not sure that will be simpler to understand. Also when defining all that, I was moving MIDI assignment on the device between hardware layouts. And so a possibility to change Hardware Context for Logical Control was useful (without redefinition of the Contexts).

Bassman

OK, now I found how to delete them, searched everywhere but not there:)

NO I never tried to use multiple Hardware Contexts, it is difficult enough without ;D

All fine now until the next problem 8)

NO, I think it will be finished soon and some people are awaiting this;)

Have a nmice week and Weekend;)

Thank you for looking into;)
Heinz.