CWP2Song, public beta.
My  DAW is Reaper
YouTube channel

Main Menu

Loop recording without extensions.

Started by azslow3, September 26, 2024, 08:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azslow3

Primary the idea comes from the fact related extensions and plug-ins are not accessible.

Loop based recording, so recording new loops on top of existing loops, is not convenient in tape oriented DAWs. As long as all loops have the same length, conventional recording works fine. But using loops of different lengths require many manual operations when recording and adjusting to the project length.

I have written quick and dirty script which organize simple loop recording: https://www.azslow.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=98

How to use:

• Add the script to REAPER Actions and assign shortcut, you will need to run it many times
  • Create new project without tracks. Set desired tempo and other options of choice.
  • Run the script. That will set required options. The script does that every time you run it, but you need these setting before the first recording.
  • Add a new track and record something which is going to be the first loop. Loops must be recorded from the beginning of the project and you should stop recording in the first half of the measure after your loop should end, for example if the loop should be one measure, you should stop recording during the first half of the second measure. Loop length is quantized to power of 2 measures, so 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 and so on.
  • Run the script. It should create the first loop.
  • Add the next track and start recording. The first loop will be played infinitely, so you technically will record many takes. Stop at desired length. It can be shorted or longer then previous loop
  • Run the script. It will create new loop and if required adjust the first one.
  • Continue with new loops the same way.

You can protect tracks to avoid them interpreted as loops, just start Item not at the beginning of the project. Such tracks will not be touched by the script.

If you change the length of the project by creating not looped content, first protect it as described and then run the script. The script will adjust the length of all loops to cover the project and set new looping region.

In case resulting loop has unexpected length, for example if you have not stopped recording in time, truncate the item to desired loop length, glue it and run the script.

Known issues:

• multi-take MIDI recording may contain note repeat on boundary crossing, even after the item is unrolled and glued by the script. Normally such notes are easy to spot and join in MIDI editor

Warning: the script is just written so it is probably extremely buggy. Let me know if you have issues, I will try to fix them.

azslow3